Trócaire turns the compassion of the Irish people into life-changing support for some of the world’s poorest people. We work in partnership with communities in over 20 countries to relieve poverty and tackle injustice. Trócaire is an agency of the Irish Catholic Church.
Trócaire – Wikipedia
- Trócaire ( Irish pronunciation: [ˈt̪ˠɾˠoːkəɾʲə], meaning ” compassion “) is the official overseas development agency of the Catholic Church in Ireland. The roots of the charity lie in Pope Paul VI ‘s 1967 encyclical Populorum Progressio, which called for people to take notice and respond to the injustices that were occurring all round the world.
Trócaire is an agency of the Irish Catholic Church. We are the Irish member of the Caritas Internationalis federation. Last year Trócaire brought support and relief to 2.5 million people living in poverty, conflict and injustice. Trócaire is the Irish language word for “compassion”.
- 1 How much does Trócaire give to charity?
- 2 What service does Trócaire provide?
- 3 Who runs Trócaire?
- 4 Is Trócaire successful?
- 5 What percentage of money goes to charity?
- 6 What is the salary of the CEO of Trocaire?
- 7 What countries does trócaire work in?
- 8 Why was trócaire set up?
- 9 What projects are Trocaire currently working on?
- 10 How does trócaire help the poor?
- 11 How do I donate to trócaire?
- 12 What is a trócaire box?
- 13 Who is the CEO of Trocaire?
- 14 How many employees does Trocaire have?
How much does Trócaire give to charity?
The financial year 2019/20 saw the public donate €23m to Trócaire – donations that change the lives of some of the poorest people in the world. Trócaire’s 2019 Lenten Appeal saw a 10 per cent increase in donations, resulting in €8.3m being contributed to the charity.
What service does Trócaire provide?
Overseas, Trócaire works across a number of programme areas and delivers support through local partner organisations and churches, with the goal of helping communities and families to free themselves from poverty, cope with climate change, promote gender equality, tackle injustice, provide emergency relief and defend
Who runs Trócaire?
Our Executive Leadership Team (ELT) manages Trócaire on a day-to-day basis. The ELT reports to both the Board of Directors and the Company Members. Led by CEO Caoimhe de Barra, there are six members of the ELT.
Is Trócaire successful?
From distributing humanitarian aid in disaster zones to encouraging sustainable agriculture, Trócaire had a direct impact on the lives of more than 3.4 million people in 20 countries in 2013/14.
What percentage of money goes to charity?
Total giving to charitable organizations was $410.02 billion in 2017 ( 2.1% of GDP ). This is an increase of 5.2% in current dollars and 3.0% in inflation-adjusted dollars from 2016.
What is the salary of the CEO of Trocaire?
Trocaire, which had an income of €64million in 2019/20, paid its CEO €125,000 in 2018 and 2019.
What countries does trócaire work in?
Where We Work
- DR Congo. 379000. people supported with aid and assistance in 2019.
- Kenya. 48000. people helped by Trócaire supporters last year.
- South Sudan. 12000. people received humanitarian aid last year.
- Honduras. 44000.
- Guatemala. 59000.
- Malawi. 181000.
- Israel/Palestine. 21000.
- Myanmar. 87000.
Why was trócaire set up?
Trócaire was established in 1973 as the official overseas development agen- cy of the Catholic Church in Ireland. The organisation was created in response to the widening gap between rich and poor and our collective duty to reduce it.
What projects are Trocaire currently working on?
- Food & Resource Rights. We support people to gain access to food, land and their natural resources.
- Human Rights & Justice. We support people and communities to challenge human rights abuses.
- Women’s Empowerment. We work with women and men to challenge gender inequality.
- Humanitarian Action.
How does trócaire help the poor?
Trócaire turns the compassion of the Irish people into life-changing support for some of the world’s poorest people. We work in partnership with communities in over 20 countries to relieve poverty and tackle injustice. We are the Irish member of the Caritas Internationalis federation.
How do I donate to trócaire?
If you have a Trócaire box, simply count or estimate what is in your box and donate now in one of these four easy ways:
- Online at trocaire.org.
- Over the phone at 1850 408 408 (ROI) or 0800 912 1200 (NI)
- By post to Trócaire, Freepost, Maynooth, Co.
- Check with your local parish if it is possible to arrange a safe drop-off.
What is a trócaire box?
Few of us who attended primary school in Ireland since 1973 will be unfamiliar with the Trócaire Lenten Campaign Box used for fundraising during the days of Lent. For many decades it was one of the most prominent symbols of Irish people’s support for many of the world’s poorest.
Who is the CEO of Trocaire?
Concern, which works on fighting poverty, also performs strongly, and says it puts 91.1 cent of every €1 donated towards charitable works, keeping governance costs at just 0.5 per cent.
How many employees does Trocaire have?
How many staff work for Trócaire? A. Trócaire has 135 staff in Ireland and 55 overseas.