How many charity quotes are there on Goodreads?
- Quotes tagged as “charity” Showing 1-30 of 587. “For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run his fingers through it once a day. For poise, walk with the knowledge you’ll never walk alone.
- 1 What did the American diplomats mean when they said millions for defense not one cent for tribute?
- 2 What is the origin of the phrase Millions for defense but not one cent for tribute?
- 3 What was the XYZ?
- 4 What events led to the decline of the Federalist Party quizlet?
- 5 Which of the following would Jeffersonian Republicans support?
- 6 Why did Congress and the president agree to create a national bank quizlet?
- 7 Why were the French agents called XYZ?
- 8 Has the US ever fought France?
What did the American diplomats mean when they said millions for defense not one cent for tribute?
In response to the French demand of a bribe, U.S. diplomat Charles Pinckney made the statement, “millions for defense not one cent for tribute,” and he meant the U.S. would rather spend money fighting France in an armed conflict than pay them anything in the form of a bribe.
What is the origin of the phrase Millions for defense but not one cent for tribute?
What did Americans mean when they said “Millions for defense, but not one cent for tribute”? The Americans would pay millions of dollars to defend their country, but not 1 cent towards the bribe in response to the XYZ affair.
What was the XYZ?
The XYZ Affair was a diplomatic incident between French and United States diplomats that resulted in a limited, undeclared war known as the Quasi-War. U.S. and French negotiators restored peace with the Convention of 1800, also known as the Treaty of Mortefontaine.
What events led to the decline of the Federalist Party quizlet?
The Alien and Sedition Acts of 1798, the election of Democratic-Republican Thomas Jefferson in 1800, and the death of Alexander Hamilton in 1804 led to the decline and collapse of the Federalist Party.
Which of the following would Jeffersonian Republicans support?
Led by Thomas Jefferson, whom they helped elect to the presidency for two terms (1801-1809), the Republicans believed in individual freedoms and the rights of states. They feared that the concentration of federal power under George Washington and John Adams represented a dangerous threat to liberty.
Why did Congress and the president agree to create a national bank quizlet?
Why did Congress and the President agree to create the Bank of the United States? They hoped a bank would offer stability for the U. S. economy. The bank played an important role in making the U. S. economy more stable. He believed that Hamilton’s plans for the economy gave too much power to the federal government.
Why were the French agents called XYZ?
The name derives from the substitution of the letters X, Y, and Z for the names of French diplomats Jean-Conrad Hottinguer (X), Pierre Bellamy (Y), and Lucien Hauteval (Z) in documents released by the Adams administration.
Has the US ever fought France?
It has been peaceful except for the Quasi War in 1798–1799 and fighting against Vichy France (while supporting Free France) in 1942–1944 during World War II.