Donate a Ponytail
- Make sure hair is a minimum of 12 inches for proper hair donation length.
- Hair must be clean and stored/packaged completely dry.
- Hair cannot be permed, color-treated, or highlighted.
- Tie hair into at least four sections (six are even better) around the head for a more generous donation.
How to Donate Hair: Everything You Need to Know
- Wrap all ponytails in one piece of tissue paper and seal in a plastic bag. Send your hair donation to the appropriate address for the charity. Below are the most common stipulations for hair donations: Make sure hair is a minimum of 12 inches for proper hair donation length. Pull curly hair straight for a more accurate measurement.
Cut hair above the rubber band. Wrap all ponytails in one piece of tissue paper and seal in a plastic bag. Send your hair donation to the appropriate address for the charity.
- 1 How many inches of hair do you need to donate?
- 2 How do I cut my hair to donate to charity?
- 3 How do I donate my hair to cancer patients?
- 4 What is the minimum amount of hair you can donate to charity?
- 5 What’s the best place to donate hair?
- 6 Can you donate 6 inches hair to Locks of Love?
- 7 Is Locks of Love taking hair donations?
- 8 Can you donate hair that you cut at home?
- 9 How much hair do you need to donate to Pantene?
- 10 Can you donate gray hair to cancer patients?
- 11 Can you donate your hair to a specific person?
- 12 Can I donate GREY hair?
- 13 Is 12 inch hair long?
- 14 How do you measure your hair for donations?
How many inches of hair do you need to donate?
35.5cm (14in) is the hair length required to create wigs in order for the hair to be processed. 1-2cm shorter is okay to donate, but the longer the donation the better! If you’ve got to wait a little longer for your hair to reach that length, you could consider setting up your fundraising page now!
How do I cut my hair to donate to charity?
Some ask for at least 7 inches (about 17 cm), while others ask for at least 14 inches (about 35cm). To decide if your hair is long enough, you measure the ponytail of hair that would be cut off (donated). This length does not refer to the length of your hair when on your head.
How do I donate my hair to cancer patients?
Guidelines for cutting & donating your hair
- Wash and Dry your hair (wet hair not accepted)
- Do not use conditioner or styling products.
- Make your dry hair into ponytail/s and secure both ends with a hair band.
- Ask your hairdresser to cut above the top band.
What is the minimum amount of hair you can donate to charity?
Longer the better First, the length of hair donated needs to be at least seven inches. An amount of hair is lost in the wig-making process, so the longer, the better.
What’s the best place to donate hair?
Best Places to Donate Hair and Quick How-to Guide
- Locks of Love. Locks of Love is perhaps the best known and longest running hair donation charity.
- Wigs for Kids.
- Maggie’s Wigs 4 Kids of Michigan.
- Children With Hair Loss.
- Hair We Share.
- Angel Hair for Kids (Canada)
Can you donate 6 inches hair to Locks of Love?
A full 10″ is required in order to be used in the hairpieces and wigs made by Locks of Love. Hair longer than 10″ can be donated. If your hair is less than 10″ you can still donate to Locks of Love. Hair shorter than 10″ is sold to offset the manufacturing costs of the hairpieces.
Is Locks of Love taking hair donations?
Hair We Share and Children with Hair Loss both accept colored or grey but not highlighted hair over 8 inches. Locks of Love and Pink Heart Funds both take hair colored or grey but not over-processed or bleached hair over 10 inches. Wigs for Kids will take grey, but not dyed, hair that is at least 12 inches long.
Can you donate hair that you cut at home?
The Hair Donating Process Whether you’re cutting your hair yourself or at the salon, below is exactly how to donate hair to Wigs for Kids (or another charity) no matter your natural hair texture: Hair must be clean and dry. Hair pulled into one ponytail or a braid results in a loss of up to four inches of hair.
How much hair do you need to donate to Pantene?
Measure the length of the ponytail from the elastic band to the tips, making sure it’s at least 8 inches long. Donations shorter than 8 inches will not be used, because this is too short for making a wig. If your hair is not 8 inches, continue growing it out. There is no maximum length requirement.
Can you donate gray hair to cancer patients?
Minimum hair length to donate: 8 inches. They accept: All colors including grey, non color or chemically treated hair is preferred.
Can you donate your hair to a specific person?
Any hair donations you collect from friends and family must be similar in length, color and texture to ensure everything will blend well together in the completed wig. You can submit hair that has been dyed or color treated as long as it’s strong enough to withstand the hand-tying process.
Can I donate GREY hair?
Adults and children can donate hair. You may need to find out if an organization will or will not take hair that’s been colored, permed, highlighted, bleached, or dreadlocked. Also, some organizations accept gray hair or hair with a certain percentage of gray in it, while others don’t accept it at all.
Is 12 inch hair long?
12 Inches Hair At 12 inches, your hair is a bit longer than shoulder length. Expect it to touch your shoulders or to brush the tops of your shoulder blades. As far as length goes, 12 inches of hair is right in the middle. It’s just about the perfect choice for anyone who wants a genuine medium-length haircut.
How do you measure your hair for donations?
Measure the length of the ponytail from the elastic band; make sure the hair is at least 8 inches. Any length shorter than 8 inches is too short to be used in a wig and will not be used. There is no maximum length requirement. (If your hair is not 8 inches, continue to grow your hair out.)